Who the policy is for

Is the Lucas Fettes Online Home Insurance policy, provided by Ecclesiastical, suitable for me?

If you don’t want to spend a fortune but you do want…

  • up to £750,000 buildings cover and up to £75,000 contents cover as standard (we can provide specific or increased cover if you call us)
  • up to £3,500 for portable possessions as standard with contents cover
  • legal expenses and home emergency protection– all at no extra cost
  • the peace of mind that your insurer has been established for 125 years, and provides 95% claims satisfaction
  • to benefit from a generous no claims discount

…then the policy is suitable for you – please get a quote.



What the policy includes

What is buildings insurance and what am I covered for?

Buildings insurance covers your home including any garages or outbuildings used only for domestic purposes, home office use, permanent fixtures and fittings, wind turbines and solar panels fixed to the buildings or fixed to the ground, swimming pools, tennis courts, paths, drives, terraces, patios, walls, fences, hedges and gates as long as these are all within the boundaries of the land belonging to your property.

What is contents insurance and what am I covered for?

Contents insurance covers your household goods, furniture, furnishings, clothing, personal belongings and valuables all belonging to you or for which you are legally responsible.

What is the difference between standard cover and accidental damage cover?

Standard cover will cover your property and/or contents for the perils noted in the policy document, e.g. fire, earthquake, storm, flood and subsidence.

Accidental damage cover will provide cover for your property and/or contents for any damage caused accidently, e.g. spilling paint onto a carpet or bursting a pipe whilst carrying out some DIY.

Does the policy include portable possessions cover?

Yes, the policy automatically includes up to £3,500 for portable possessions cover if you select Contents cover for personal belongings that you take away from your home. This will cover any items that you take away from your home and on holiday so can cover mobile phones (handset only), laptops, camera equipment or jewellery.

Any items that you take away from your home that are valued over £3,500 will need to be specified on the policy individually.

Is home emergency cover included under the policy?

Yes, home emergency cover is automatically included under your household policy. DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited handle these claims on Ecclesiastical’s behalf and you can use this for home emergencies in relation to  roof damage, plumbing and drainage, your main heating system, the domestic power supply, the toilet unit, home security or vermin.

If you need to make a claim under this section of the policy, please call DAS on 0845 268 8469.

Is legal expenses cover included under the policy?

Yes, legal expenses cover is automatically included under your household policy. You have a limit of £50,000 and DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited handles these claims on Ecclesiastical’s behalf. DAS are also able to help on any legal advice or issue that you may have.

If you feel like you need legal assistance, please call DAS on 0845 268 9124.

Is there any liability cover under the policy?

There is liability cover included under your policy automatically, up to a limit of £2,000,000.



Is personal money covered under the policy?

Yes. You have up to £500 personal money cover included under the policy. Personal money means current notes and coins, cheques, travellers cheques, postal or money orders, postage stamps (not forming part of a stamp collection), National Savings stamps or certificates, premium bonds, trading stamps, stamps for television licence, gas, electricity or other bills, luncheon vouchers, gift tokens, telephone cards, travel tickets and other season tickets all held for personal or charitable purposes. The cover also applies for up to 90 days in any one period of insurance, elsewhere in the world.

Is my bike covered under the policy?

Whilst the bike is in your property, it will be covered under your general contents insurance. If you take your bike away from home, then this will be covered under the Portable Possessions section of your insurance. Also, if your bike is worth more that £750, this will need to specified individually on the policy.

Will my son’s/daughter’s possessions be covered if they go to university?

As long as you have Portable Possessions cover under your policy and your son/daughter stays at your property in the holiday times, then their possessions will be covered. Please note that the Portable Possessions sum insured will need to be sufficient to cover the whole family.

The most Ecclesiastical will pay for any contents whilst in the student accommodation is £5,000 in any one period of insurance. Please note that if there is more than one child at university then the £5000 is split between them.

Are the fences at my property covered under my buildings insurance?

The fences at your property will be covered under the policy but Ecclesiastical will only be able to pay a claim for damage to any fence if the main building, garage or outbuilding is damaged at the same time.

Are my contents covered on a ‘new for old’ basis?

Yes, apart from household linen and clothing.

Are the contents in my garage/outbuildings covered?

Yes. The contents in these buildings will be automatically covered up to £5,000.

Are the contents in my freezer covered?

The contents in your freezer will be covered up to your contents sum insured.

What is an excess?

An excess is the first monetary amount that you will pay towards a claim. Under Ecclesiastical’s policies the excesses are £1,000 for subsidence, £250 for any escape of water or oil claim and £75 for any other standard claim. There is the option to add on voluntary excesses which would be added to the already existing excesses.

Important considerations

Will my premium be lower if I install a burglar alarm or specific locks?

This will not reduce the premium in any way; however your property may be in an area that requires you to meet certain security requirements. Ecclesiastical will be able to tell you this.

Do I get a no claims discount?

The policy offers a generous no claims discount depending on the number of claim free years.

Do I need to tell Ecclesiastical about alterations to my property?

If the work taking place is in excess of £25,000 you will need to complete a Buildings Work Questionnaire. If the work taking place will be less than £25,000, please contact Ecclesiastical to let them know and allow them to note your policy accordingly.

My property is going to be unoccupied for 60 days, do I need to let Ecclesiastical know?

Yes. Ecclesiastical have a 60 day ruling on the policy. After 60 days the cover on the policy may change and so they will need to know if the property will be unoccupied.


Will Ecclesiastical cancel my previous insurance with my previous provider?

No. You will need to call the previous insurers and cancel the policy.

Special circumstances

My property is a listed building. Can I still get a quote?

Ecclesiastical can still offer you a quotation if your property is listed. They will need to know which Grade the building is.



About Ecclesiastical

Who are Ecclesiastical?

Over 125 years ago a group of church people got together to establish the grandly titled Ecclesiastical Buildings Fire Office.

Since then, the name Ecclesiastical has remained, but the organisation has grown and gone on to become one of the largest British-owned insurers.

Ecclesiastical are owned by a charity and give all of their available profits to charity. Last year they were named the UK's 8th largest corporate donor. The way that Ecclesiastical are owned underpins everything that they do and working responsibly has always been at the heart of the way they do business.

To find out more out more about the support Ecclesiastical give to people and communities in need, click here.

Why does Lucas Fettes Online use Ecclesiastical as it’s online home insurance provider?

We have selected Ecclesiastical as our online partner, because of the quality of their policy and customer service, as well as their overarching values and ethos.



Hopefully we’ve answered your question. If not, please contact us.